An Act to establish and enforce standards of weights and measures, regulate trade and commerce in weights, measures and other goods which are sold or distributed by weight, measure or number and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
Be it enacted by Parliament in the Sixtieth Year of the Republic of India as follows:--
Section 1. Short title, extent and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Legal Metrology Act, 2009.
(2) It extends to the whole of India.
(3) It shall come into force on such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint and different dates may be appointed for different provisions of this Act.
Section 2. Definitions
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,--
(a) "Controller" means the Controller of Legal Metrology appointed under section 14;
(b) "dealer", in relation to any weight or measure, means a person who, carries on, directly or otherwise, the business of buying, selling, supplying or distributing any such weight or measure, whether for cash or for deferred payment or for commission, remuneration or other valuable consideration, and includes a commission agent, an importer, a manufacturer, who sells, supplies, distributes or otherwise delivers any weight or measure manufactured by him to any person other than a dealer;
(c) "Director" means the Director of Legal Metrology appointed under section 13;
(d) "export" with its grammatical variations and cognate expressions, means taking out of India to a place outside India;
(e) "import" with its grammatical variations and cognate expressions, means bringing into India from a place outside India;
(f) "label" means any written, marked, stamped, printed or graphic matter affixed to, or appearing upon any pre-packaged commodity;
(g) "Legal Metrology" means that part of metrology which treats units of weighment and measurement, methods of weighment and measurement and weighing and measuring instruments, in relation to the mandatory technical and legal requirements which have the object of ensuring public guarantee from the point of view of security and accuracy of the weighments and measurements;
(h) "legal metrology officer" means Additional Director, Additional Controller, Joint Director, Joint Controller, Deputy Director, Deputy Controller, Assistant Director, Assistant Controller and Inspector appointed under sections 13 and 14;
(i) "manufacturer" in relation to any weight or measure, means a person who --
(i) manufactures weight or measure,
(ii) manufactures one or more parts, and acquires other parts, of such weight or measure and, after assembling those parts, claims the end product to be a weight or measure manufactured by himself or itself, as the case may be,
(iii) does not manufacture any part of such weight or measure but assembles parts thereof manufactured by others and claims the end product to be a weight or measure manufactured by himself or itself, as the case may be,
(iv) puts, or causes to be put, his own mark on any complete weight or measure made or manufactured by any other person and claims such product to be a weight or measure made or manufactured by himself or itself, as the case may be;
(j) "notification" means a notification published in the Official Gazette;
(k) "protection" means the utilisation of reading obtained from any weight or measure, for the purpose of determining any step which is required to be taken to safeguard the well-being of any human being or animal, or to protect any commodity, vegetation or thing, whether individually or collectively;
(l) "pre-packaged commodity" means a commodity which without the purchaser being present is placed in a package of whatever nature, whether sealed or not, so that the product contained therein has a pre-determined quantity;
(m) "person" includes,--
(i) a Hindu undivided family,
(ii) every department or office,
(iii) every organisation established or constituted by Government,
(iv) every local authority within the territory of India,
(v) a company, firm and association of individuals,
(vi) trust constituted under an Act,
(vii) every co-operative society, constituted under an Act,
(viii) every other society registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860(21 of 1860);
(n) "premises" includes--
(i) a place where any business, industry, production or transaction is carried on by a person, whether by himself or through an agent, by whatever name called, including the person who carries on the business in such premises,
(ii) a warehouse, godown or other place where any weight or measure or other goods are stored or exhibited,
(iii) a place where any books of account or other documents pertaining to any trade or transaction are kept,
(iv) a dwelling house, if any part thereof is used for the purpose of carrying on any business, industry, production or trade,
(v) a vehicle or vessel or any other mobile device, with the help of which any transaction or business is carried on;
(o) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules made under this Act;
(p) "repairer" means a person who repairs a weight or measure and includes a person who adjusts, cleans, lubricates or paints any weight or measure or renders any other service to such weight or measure to ensure that such weight or measure conforms to the standards established by or under this Act;
(q) "State Government", in relation to a Union territory, means the Administrator thereof;
(r) "sale", with its grammatical variations and cognate expressions, means transfer of property in any weight, measure or other goods by one person to another for cash or for deferred payment or for any other valuable consideration and includes a transfer of any weight, measure or other goods on the hire-purchase system or any other system of payment by instalments, but does not include a mortgage or hypothecation of, or a charge or pledge on, such weight, measure or other goods;
(s) "seal" means a device or process by which a stamp is made, and includes any wire or other accessory which is used for ensuring the integrity of any stamp;
(t) "stamp" means a mark, made by impressing, casting, engraving, etching, branding, affixing pre-stressed paper seal or any other process in relation to, any weight or measure with a view to--
(i) certifying that such weight or measure conforms to the standard specified by or under this Act, or
(ii) indicating that any mark which was previously made thereon certifying that such weight or measure conforms to the standards specified by or under this Act, has been obliterated;
(u) "transaction" means,--
(i) any contract, whether for sale, purchase, exchange or any other purpose, or
(ii) any assessment of royalty, toll, duty or other dues, or
(iii) the assessment of any work done, wages due or services rendered;
(v) "verification", with its grammatical variations and cognate expressions, includes, in relation to any weight or measure, the process of comparing, checking, testing or adjusting such weight or measure with a view to ensuring that such weight or measure conforms to the standards established by or under this Act and also includes re-verification and calibration;
(w) "weight or measure" means a weight or measure specified by or under this Act and includes a weighing or measuring instrument.
Section 4. Units of weights and measures to be based on metric system
Every unit of weight or measure shall be in accordance with the metric system based on the international system of units.
Section 5. Base unit of weights and measures
(1) The base unit of--
(i) length shall be the metre;
(ii) mass shall be the kilogram;
(iii) time shall be the second;
(iv) electric current shall be the ampere;
(v) thermodynamic temperature shall be the kelvin;
(vi) luminous intensity shall be the candela; and
(vii) amount of substance shall be the mole.
(2) The specifications of the base units mentioned in sub-section (1), derived units and other units shall be such as may be prescribed.
Section 6. Base unit of numeration
(1) The base unit of numeration shall be the unit of the international form of Indian numerals.
(2) Every numeration shall be made in accordance with the decimal system.
(3) The decimal multiples and sub-multiples of the numerals shall be of such denominations and be written in such manner as may be prescribed.
Section 7. Standard units of weights and measures
(1) The base units of weights and measures specified in section 5 shall be the standard units of weights and measures.
(2) The base unit of numeration specified in section 6 shall be the standard unit of numeration.
(3) For the purpose of deriving the value of base, derived and other units mentioned in section 5, the Central Government shall prepare or cause to be prepared objects or equipments in such manner as may be prescribed.
(4) The physical characteristics, configuration, constructional details, materials, equipments, performance, tolerances, period of re-verification, methods or procedures of tests shall be such as may be prescribed.
Section 8. Standard weight, measure or numeral
(1) Any weight or measure which conforms to the standard unit of such weight or measure and also conforms to such of the provisions of section 7 as are applicable to it shall be the standard weight or measure.
(2) Any numeral which conforms to the provisions of section 6 shall be the standard numeral.
(3) No weight, measure or numeral, other than the standard weight, measure or numeral, shall be used as a standard weight, measure or numeral.
(4) No weight or measure, shall be manufactured or imported unless it conforms to the standards of weight or measure specified under section 8:
Provided that provisions of this section shall not apply for manufacture done exclusively for export or for the purpose of any scientific investigation or research.
Section 9. Reference, secondary and working standard
(1) The reference standards, secondary standards and working standards of weights and measures shall be such as may be prescribed.
(2) Every reference standard, secondary standard and working standard shall be verified and stamped in such manner and after payment of such fee as may be prescribed.
(3) Every reference standard, secondary standard and working standard which is not verified and stamped in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (2) shall not be deemed to be a valid standard.
Section 10. Use of weight or measure for particular purposes
Any transaction, dealing or contract in respect of any goods, class of goods or undertakings shall be made by such weight, measure or number as may be prescribed.
Section 11. Prohibition of quotation, etc., otherwise than in terms of standard units of weight, measure or numeration
(1) No person shall, in relation to any goods, things or service,--
(a) quote, or make announcement of, whether by word of mouth or otherwise, any price or charge, or
(b) issue or exhibit any price list, invoice, cash memo or other document, or
(c) prepare or publish any advertisement, poster or other document, or
(d) indicate the net quantity of a pre-packaged commodity, or
(e) express in relation to any transaction or protection, any quantity or dimension, otherwise than in accordance with the standard unit of weight, measure or numeration.
(2) The provisions of sub-section (1) shall not be applicable for export of any goods, things or service.
Section 12. Any custom, usage, etc., contrary to standard weight, measure or numeration to be void
Any custom, usage, practice or method of whatever nature which permits a person to demand, receive or cause to be demanded or received, any quantity of article, thing or service in excess of or less than, the quantity specified by weight, measure or number in the contract or other agreement in relation to the said article, thing or service, shall be void.