1[MYSORE STATE (ALTERATION OF NAME) ACT, 1973
[Act, No. 31 of 1973]
[21st August, 1973]
An Act to alter the name of the State of Mysore.
BE it enacted by Parliament in the Twenty-fourth year of the Republic of India as follows: -
|1. Repealed by The Two-Member Constituencies (Abolition) and Other Laws Repeal Act, 2001 (47 of 2001) w.e.f. 14.09.2001.|
Section 1. Short title and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Mysore State (Alteration of Name) Act, 1973.
(2) It shall come into force on such date" as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
Section 2. Definitions
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,-
(a) "appointed day" means the date appointed under sub-section (2) of section 1 for the coming into force of this Act;
(b) "appropriate Government" means, as respects law relating to a matter enumerated in List I in the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution, the Central Government, and as respects any other law the State Government;
(c) "law" includes any enactment, ordinance, regulation, order, bye-law, rule, scheme, notification or other instrument having the force of law in the whole or any part of the State of Mysore,
Section 3. Alteration of name of State of Mysore
As from the appointed day, the State of Mysore shall be known as the State of Karnataka.
Section 4. Amendment of article 168 of the Constitution
In sub-clause (a) of clause (1) of article 168 of the Constitution for the word "Mysore" the word "Karnataka" shall be substituted.
Section 5. Amendment of First and Fourth Schedules to the Constitution
(1) In the First Schedule to the Constitution under the heading "I THE STATES" for the figure and word "9 Mysore" the figure and word "9 Karnataka" shall be substituted.
(2) In the Fourth Schedule to the Constitution for the figures and word "10 Mysore" the figures and word "10 Karnataka" shall be substituted.
Section 6. Power to adapt laws
(1) For the purpose of giving effect to the alteration of the name of the State of Mysore by section 3, the appropriate Government may, before the expiration of one year from the appointed day, by order make such adaptations and modifications of any law made before the appointed day, whether by way of repeal or amendment as may be necessary or expedient, and thereupon every such law shall have effect subject to the adaptations and modifications so made.
(2) Nothing in sub-section (1) shall be deemed to prevent a competent Legislature or other competent authority from repealing or amending any law adapted or modified by the appropriate Government under the said sub-section.
Section 7. Power to construe laws
Notwithstanding that no provision or insufficient provision has been made under section 6 for the adaptation of a law made before the appointed day, any Court, tribunal or authority required or empowered to enforce such law may construe the law in such manner without affecting the substance as may be necessary or proper in regard to the matter before the Court, tribunal or authority.
Section 8. Legal Proceedings
Where immediately before the appointed day any legal proceedings are pending to which the State of Mysore is a party the State of Karnataka shall be deemed to be substituted for the State of Mysore in those proceedings.
Two-Member Constituencies (Abolition) and Other Laws Repeal Act, 2001
THE TWO-MEMBER CONSTITUENCIES (ABOLITION) AND OTHER LAWS REPEAL ACT, 2001
[Act, No. 47 of 2001]
[14th September, 2001]
An Act to repeal the Two-Member Constituencies (Abolition) Act, 1961 and certain other enactments.
Be it enacted by Parliament in the Fifty-second Year of the Republic of India as follows: --
1. Short title
This Act may be called the Two-Member Constituencies (Abolition) and other Laws Repeal Act, 2001.
2. Repeal of enactments
The enactments specified in the Schedule are hereby repealed.
(See section 2)
Repeal of Enactments
Name of the Act
The Two-Member Constituencies (Abolition) Act
The Madras State (Alteration of Name) Act
The West Bengal Legislative Council (Abolition) Act
The Mysore State (Alteration of Name) Act
The Laccadive, Minicoy and Amindivi Islands (Alteration of Name) Act
The Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council (Abolition) Act
The Tamil Nadu Legislative Council (Abolition) Act