(1) This Act may be called the Food Safety and Standards (Amendment) Act, 2008.
(2) It shall be deemed to have come into force on the 7th day of February, 2008.
Section 2. Amendment of section 3
In the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006(34 of 2006) (hereinafter referred to as the principal Act), in section 3, in sub-section (1), for clause (ze), the following clause shall be substituted, namely:--
'(ze) "Member" includes a part-time Member and the Chairperson of the Food Authority;'.
Section 3. Amendment of section 5
In section 5 of the principal Act, for sub-sections (4) and (5), the following sub-sections shall be substituted, namely:--
"(4) The Chairperson and the Members including part-time Members other than the ex officio Members of the Food Authority may be appointed by the Central Government on the recommendations of the Selection Committee.
(3) The Chairperson of the Food Authority shall not ho)d any other office.".
Section 4. Amendment of section 7
In section 7 of the principal Act, in sub-section (7), for the proviso, the following proviso shall be substituted, namely:
"Provided that the Chairperson shall not hold office as such after he has attained the age of sixty-five years.".
Section 5. Repeal and saving
(1) The Food Safety and Standards (Amendment) Ordinance, 2008(Ord. 6 of 2008) is hereby repeated.
(2) Notwithstanding such repeat, anything done or any action taken under the principal Act, as amended by the said Ordinance, shall be deemed to have been done or taken under the principal Act, as amended by this Act.