THE RAJASTHAN AND MADHYA PRADESH (TRANSFER OF TERRITORIES) ACT, 1959
[Act, No. 47 of 1959]
[18th September, 1959]
An Act to provide for the transfer of certain territories from the State of Rajasthan to the State of Madhya Pradesh and for matters connected therewith.
BE it enacted by Parliament in the Tenth Year of the Republic of India as follows :--
Section 1. Short title
This Act may be called the Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh (Transfer of Territories) Act, 1959.
Section 2. Definitions
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,--
(a) "appointed day" means the 1st day of October, 1959;
(b) "assembly constituency", "council constituency" and "parliamentary constituency" have the same meanings as in the Representation of the People Act, 1950;
(c) "sitting member", in relation to either House of Parliament or of the appointed day, is member of that House;
(d) "transferred territories" means the territories specified in the First Schedule and transferred from the State of Rajasthan to the State of Madhya Pradesh by section 3.
Section 3. Transfer of territories from Rajasthan to Madhya Pradesh
(1) As from the appointed day, there shall be added to the State of Madhya Pradesh the territories specified in the First Schedule which shall thereupon cease to form part of the State of Rajasthan.
(2) The transferred territories shall be included in, and form part of Bhanpura pargana of Mandsaur district in the State of Madhya Pradesh.
(3) Nothing in sub-section (1) shall be deemed to affect the power of the State Government to alter after the appointed day the name, extent or boundaries of any district in the State of Madhya Pradesh.
Section 4. Amendment of the First Schedule to the Constitution
As from the appointed day, in the First Schedule to the Constitution, under the heading "I. THE STATES",--
(a) in the entry against "6. Madhya Pradesh", after the words and figures "States Reorganisation Act, 1956", the words, brackets and figures "and the First Schedule to the Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh (Transfer of Territories) Act, 1959" shall be inserted.
(b) in the entry against ''11 Rajasthan", after the words and figures "States Reorganisation Act, 1956", the words, brackets and figures "but excluding the territories specified in the First Schedule to the Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh (Transfer of Territories) Act, 1959" shall be inserted.
Section 5. Amendments of Delimitation Orders
The Delimitation of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies Order, 1956, and the Constitution of Council Constituencies (Madhya Pradesh) Order, 1947, shall have effect subject to the modifications specified in the Second Schedule.
Section 6. Provision as to sitting members
(1) The sitting members of the House of the People representing Mandsaur constituency in the State of Madhya Pradesh and Kotah constituency in the State of Rajasthan shall notwithstanding the alteration in the extent of those constituencies by virtue of the provisions of this Act, continue to be members of the House of the People.
(2) The sitting members of the Legislative Assemblies of Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan representing Garoth constituency and Begun constituency respectively shall, notwithstanding the alteration in the extent of those constituencies by virtue of the provisions of this Act, continue to be members of the said Assemblies.
Section 7. Extension of jurisdiction of Madhya Pradesh High Court
(1) As from the appointed day,--
(a) the jurisdiction of the High Court of Madhya Pradeshshall extend to the transferred territories; and.
(b) the High Court of Rajasthan shall have nojurisdiction in respect of the said territories.
(2) If, immediately before the appointed day, there isany proceeding relatable to the transferred territories pending in the HighCourt of Rajasthan, then, notwithstanding anything contained in subsection(1), such proceeding shall be heard and disposed of by that High Court.
(3) Any order made by the High Court of Rajasthan in anyproceeding with respect to which that High Court exercises jurisdiction byvirtue of sub-section (2), shall, for all purposes, have effect, not only as anorder of the High Court of Rajasthan, but also as an order made by the HighCourt of Madhya Pradesh.
(4) For the purposes of this section.--
(a) proceedings shall be deemed to be pending in the HighCourt of Rajasthan until that Court has disposed of all issues between theparties, including any issues with respect to the taxation of the costs of theproceedings and shall include appeals, applications for leave to appeal to theSupreme Court, applications for review, petitions for revision and petitions forwrits;
(b) reference to a High Court shall be construed asincluding reference to a Judge or Division Court thereof, and references to anorder made by a Court or a Judge shall be construed as including reference to asentence, judgment or decree passed or made by that Court or Judge.
Section 8. Appropriation of moneys for expenditure in transferred territories under existing Appropriation Acts
As from the appointed day, any Act passed by the Legislature of Madhya Pradesh before that day for the appropriation of any money out of the Consolidated Fund of the State to meet any expenditure in respect of any part of the financial year 1959-60 shall have effect also in relation to the transferred territories, and it shall be lawful for the State Government to spend any amount for those territories out of the amount authorised by such Act to be expended for any services in that State.
Section 9. Assets and liabilities
(1) All land and all stores, articles and other goods in the transferred territories belonging to the State of Rajasthan shall, as from the appointed day, pass to the State of Madhya Pradesh.
Explanation.-- In this sub-section, the expression "land" includes immoveable property of every kind and any rights in or over such property and the expression "goods" does not include coins, bank notes and currency notes.
(2) All rights, liabilities and obligations, whether arising out of a contract or otherwise, of the State of Rajasthan in relation to the transferred territories shall, as from the appointed day, be the rights, liabilities and obligations, respectively, of the State of Madhya Pradesh.
Section 10. State Financial Corporations and State Electricity Boards
As from the appointed day,--
(a) the Financial Corporations constituted under theState Financial Corporations Act, 1951, for the States of Rajasthan and MadhyaPradesh, and
(b) the State Electricity Boards constituted under theElectricity (Supply) Act, 1948, for the said States.
shall be deemed to have been constituted for those Stateswith their areas as altered by the provisions of section 3.
Section 11. Extension of laws
All laws which immediately before the appointed day extend to, or in force in, the Mandsaur district in the State of Madhya Pradesh but do not extend to, or are not in force in, the transferred territories shall, as from that day, extend to, or as the case may be, come into force in, the transferred territories; and all laws which, immediately before the appointed day, are in force in the transferred territories, but not in the Mandsaur district in the State of Madhya Pradesh, shall, on that day, cease to be in force in the transferred territories, except as respects things done or omitted to be done before that day.
Explanation.-- In this section "law" includes any enactment, ordinance, regulation, order, bye law, rule, scheme, notification or other instrument having the force of law in the whole or in any part of Madhya Pradesh or Rajasthan.
Section 12. Power to construe laws
Any Court, tribunal or authority required or empowered to enforce any law extended to the transferred territories by section 1 may, for the purpose of facilitating its application in relation to the transferred territories, construe the law in such manner, without affecting the substance, as may be necessary or proper in regard to the matter before the court, tribunal or authority.
Section 13. Legal proceedings
Where, immediately before the appointed day1, the State of Rajasthan is a party to any legal proceedings with respect to any property, rights or liabilities transferred to the State of Madhya Pradesh under this Act, that State shall be deemed to be substituted for the State of Rajasthan as a party to those proceedings, or added as a party thereto, as the case may be, and the proceedings may continue accordingly.
Section 14. Transfer of pending proceedings
(1) Every proceeding pending immediately before the appointed day before any court (other than a High Court), tribunal, authority or officer in any area which on that day falls within the State of Rajasthan shall, if it is a proceeding relating exclusively to any part of the transferred territories, stand transferred to the corresponding court, tribunal, authority or officer in the State of Madhya Pradesh.
(2) If any question arises as to whether any proceeding should stand transferred under sub-section (1), it shall be referred to the High Court of Rajasthan and the decision of that High Court shall be final.
(3) In this section,--
(a) "proceeding" includes any suit, case or appeal; and
(b) "corresponding court, tribunal, authority or officer" in Madhya Pradesh means--
(i) the court, tribunal, authority or officer in which, or before whom, the proceeding would have lain if the proceeding had been instituted after the appointed day, or
(ii) in case of doubt, such court, tribunal, authority or officer in that State as may be determined after the appointed day1by the Government of Madhya Pradesh, or before the appointed day by the Government of Rajasthan, to be the corresponding court, tribunal, authority or officer.
|1. That is to say 1-10-1959. |